Penarth Lawn Tennis Club, established in 1884, is one of the oldest Tennis Clubs in the UK. Situated in the heart of Penarth looking over the sea, PLTC has a thriving membership of nearly 300 playing and social members. The club has 3 floodlit hard courts and has plans of further court development in the near future. The Clubhouse has changing-room facilities, kitchen and the ever popular bar.
For many years, the club was a fulcrum of social activity in Penarth, and you often hear how "everyone who was anyone was a member" of the club in the 1950s and 1960s. The club's grass courts were used by the Welsh Lawn Tennis Association for the annual Welsh Junior Championships until the late 1970s, which saw the entire tennis playing population of Wales descend on the club for one week every summer.
Each year members nominate the person they believe has made a contribution to the club ‘beyond the call of duty’. It recognises the effort that members put in on an entirely voluntary basis for the benefit of the club as a whole, which fosters and maintains the community spirit that is vital for our prosperity and sustainability.
The award is announced and presented at the Late Summer Ball